A medical assistant helps doctors, nurses, other health care service providers, and patients in different health care settings where the patients can range from newborns to the elderly. An increasing number of clinics and health care facilities need support workers who are capable of undertaking both administrative and clinical duties and have excellent interpersonal and communication abilities.
The Specialty Certified Medical Assistant (SCMA) is a second level certification that validates the clinical knowledge of the medical assistants in a particular specialty like cardiology, oncology, pediatrics etc. Specialty Medical Assistants are the backbone of the healthcare industry and play an integral role in the maintenance and care of patients, assisting physicians and staff with their enhanced knowledge and expertise from certification in a particular medical field. From greeting patients at the door at check-in to preparing them for advanced medical procedures, Specialty Medical Assistants coordinate patient care with integrity, efficiency and understanding
Becoming a Specialty Certified Medical Assistant (SCMA):
SCMA® currently offers Specialty certifications in 13 different specialties to medical assistants. The SCMA exam tests you on administrative as well as on general and specific clinical skills required for your specialty. SCMA professionals are qualified for regular medical assistant positions as well as for medical assistant positions in specialties from cardiology to women's health.
For becoming Specialty Certified Medical Assistant you must pass an online exam with a score of 70% or higher. You can prepare for the SCMA exam by attending a suitable training program or by preparing for the exam on your own if you have prior clinical experience as a medical assistant in your chosen specialty.
For purchasing a self-study kit or exam voucher Click here.
SCMA Exam Summary:
Cost of Exam Voucher: $195
Cost of Self Study Kit with Exam Voucher: $230
Availability: Online Exam
Duration: 120 minutes
Questions: 120 multiple choice/single answer
- 50 questions cover medical assisting
- 70 questions cover the specific therapeutic specialty
Testing Centers: Pearson Vue
For a list of testing centers please CLICK HERE and select your location.
Eligibility for the exam:
To have a better chance for success on the Specialty Certified Medical Assistant-SCMA® exam, it is recommended that you have completed one of the following:
- Certified as an International Medical Assistant and have one year of work experience in your area of specialization
- Certified as an International medical Assistant and have attended suitable clinical training program in your area of specialization
- A Medical Assistant program accredited by Commission of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) or Accreditation Bureau of Health Education Schools (ABHES) and one year of on the job experience
- A U.S. Military medical program and two years active duty as a Hospital Corpsman, Medic, etc.
- Three or more years of experience in a particular medical area
If you have a unique situation, please contact us info@SpecialtyCMA.com f or further recommendations.
Topics covered in the SCMA exam:
Retest and Certificate maintenance:
- Retest Cost :$100
- Maintenance of Certification: To maintain your Specialty Certified Medical Assistant-SCMA® certification, you must document six approved continuing education units (CEU) and pay a renewal fee of $89 each year. It is essential that three out of six CEU credits be in the concerned Clinical Specialty. The remaining three CEU credits can be earned in general or administrative area. We accept most forms of CEUs including lectures, classes, training seminars, physician CME credits (with signature of practice manager), etc. as well as CE units offered through the AAMA.
- The processing of renewal would be done within 30 days of submission of CEU credits.
- Contact us for policies on earning recertification points for publication/authorship/Medical assistant college or University credits.
- In the event that the renewal requirement is not met, the certification will become invalid. To become recertified, you must retake the certification exam
- In order to receive credit you must submit documentation by clicking the button below. For any queries, contact us at info@SpecialtyCMA.com or call us toll-free at 1.888.376.1905
If you have questions, send us an email info@SpecialtyCMA.com or call us toll free at 1.888.376.1905.