A medical assistant helps doctors, nurses, other health care service providers, and patients in different health care settings where the patients can range from newborns to the elderly. An increasing number of clinics and health care facilities need support workers who are capable of undertaking both administrative and clinical duties and have excellent interpersonal and communication abilities.
The International medical Assistant certification and examination is ratified by the national board of medical examiners.It is a certification that validates the clinical knowledge of the medical assistants, their administrative skills as well as their professional and behavioral skills. International medical assistants are certified for a global role in medical assistance.
Becoming an International Medical Assistant (IMA):
The IMA certification is an entry-level certification for medical assistants from SCMA®. SCMA® also offers Specialty certifications in 13 different specialties to medical assistants.
For becoming an International medical assistant you must pass an online exam with a score of 70% or higher. You can prepare for the IMA exam by attending a suitable training program or by preparing for the exam on your own if you have prior clinical experience as a medical assistant.
For purchasing a self-study kit or exam voucher Click here.
IMA Exam Summary:
Cost of Exam Voucher: $250
Cost of Self Study Kit with Exam Voucher : $310
Availability: Online Exam
Duration: 120 minutes
Questions: 100 multiple choice/single answer
Testing Center : Pearson Vue centers
For a list of testing centers please Click here and select your location.
Eligibility for the exam:
- Medical Assistants/Paramedical Staff currently employed in healthcare
- Graduates from an accredited educational program in medical assisting
- High School/Secondary School graduates who have gone through a suitable training program
Topics covered in the IMA exam:
The IMA exam tests you on the following:
I) Clinical Knlowledge
- Human growth and development
- Basic concepts of human behavior theories
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Medical Terminology
- Abbreviations and calculations
- Nutrition basics
- Specimen collection
- Diagnostic testing
- Health care triage
- Advance directives
- Infection Control
- Roles and responsibilities
- Patient education and advocacy
- Basics of the physical exam
II) Professional Behavioral Training
- Scope and Standards of Medical Assistant Practices
- Professionalism in the Workplace
- The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA)
III) Administrative Training
- Preparing the Practice Environment
- Health Care divisions in the United States and Abroad
- Basic Tenets of Payers and Insurance
- Financial Basics of Office Management
- Medical Records Management
- Coding Diagnostics and Procedures.
Retest and Certificate maintenance:
- Retest Cost :$125
- Maintenance of Certification: To maintain your IMA certification, you must document three approved continuing education units (CEU) and pay a renewal fee of $49 each year. The three CEU can be achieved by on the job training for at least 240 hours per year or by attending seminars/webinars/ continuing education training programs approved by SCMA.
If you have questions, send us an email info@SpecialtyCMA.com or call us toll free at 1.888.376.1905.