Cardiology Medical Assistant Career – What You Need To KnowBy SCMA On 27/09/2017
Medical Assistants in a Cardiology clinic besides doing the day to day activities of a Cardiologist office must be capable of conducting Electrocardiograms tests and also help patients in understanding the medications and diet prescribed by a cardiologist.
Here we give a brief idea about Cardiology and some of the common terminologies used in the clinic.
- Cardiology is the study and treatment of heart disorders. Blood is pumped through the circulatory system by the contractions of a double pump, the heart.
- Body Mass Index (BMI) = a calculation of body fat based on one's length and weight.
- Cardiac rehabilitation = treatment method after cardiac hospitalization to help patients maintain or retain independence.
- Claudication = Complaints of pain in one's limb while walking.
- Cyanotic = a condition in which the skin appears bluish and/or purplish due to the lack of oxygen in the blood.
- Ejection Fraction = the percent of blood in the left ventricle that is pumped out of the heart during systole.
- Hemangioma = a buildup of blood vessels that may appear reddish-bluish and swollen on the skin.
- Hemorrhage = an internal or external uncontrolled bleed
- Hypertension = blood pressure levels elevated above normal.
- Hypotension = blood pressure levels below normal.
- Paroxysmal nocturnal dyspnea = shortness of breath at night.
- Stenosis = narrowing of an artery.
- Specialty Certified Medical Assistant, Cardiology Study Guide and Practice Exam.(p.8).Certitrek Publishing
- Kaplan. Medical Assistant Exam Strategies, Practice & Review with Practice Test (Kaplan Medical Assistant Exam Review) (p. 90). Kaplan Publishing.